When it comes to mold, there are a lot of misconceptions out there. In order to understand the seriousness of your indoor mold situation, you need correct information and an accurate assessment of mold found in your home. We are going to clarify 4 common misconceptions about mold so that you can respond correctly if you find mold damage in your Missoula home.
You know that saying; ‘Don’t judge a book by its cover?’ Well, the same can be said for mold. The color of mold does not determine how dangerous it is. Hazardous molds can be many different colors including (but not limited to): brown, green, yellow, or white. Any type of indoor mold that has been able to grow for a prolonged period of time can release enough spores into the air to cause respiratory symptoms to those exposed to it, especially those who are already sensitive to allergies, with compromised immune systems, or the chronically ill, elderly, and infants. Do not disregard mold because it is not black.
Toxic means poisonous, so calling mold toxic implies that it is poisonous to those who come in contact with it. It is important to understand that while mold can be toxigenic, it is not toxic. Again, there is no toxic mold. There are molds that are toxigenic though – meaning the spores that they release into the air can cause numerous health conditions in those who are exposed to it. Stachybotrys, better known as black mold, is one of the most common toxigenic molds associated with health risks and symptoms. Different molds have different levels of toxicity, and while not all are as strong as black mold, they all decrease air quality and need to be removed correctly and quickly.
Water damaged homes do, in fact, have a much higher risk of having a mold problem. However, mold and mildews are always present inside (and outside too). Mold spores are all over in the air, just waiting to land on a surface that facilitates growth. Moisture is needed for mold to grow, so any area in your home that is exposed to water will facilitate mold growth. From showers and sinks, to water heaters and hoses, the potential for mold growth is present in every single home. Again, all homes (and buildings and offices) have the potential to have a mold problem.
You can find DIY tutorials, instructions, and solutions to almost anything these days. Many DIY techniques for mold cleanup suggest using bleach to remove mold. While bleach is a very strong and effective surface cleaner, mold cannot be treated with this DIY method alone. Without the proper training, techniques, experience, and equipment, mold can be left behind in porous materials, be spread around, and left in areas we cannot see (behind walls, in ceilings, under floors, etc). For safe, adequate, and thorough mold remediation, call in the professionals.
When it comes to mold, do not rely solely on the information found on the Internet. Call the mold damage experts at Five Valleys Restoration and Cleaning to evaluate your home, and provide you with the best mold damage remediation options.
If this is an emergency, please call 406-542-2113 for immediate service.