Missoula Mold Experts: 6 Elements That Cause Mold Growth
Mold is a small micro-organism. It is a vital part of nature that assists in the recycling and decomposition of organic matter. As pleasant as that may sound, mold in your home can pose serious health problems. For mold to thrive, factors such as moisture, a food source, and the right temperatures must be present. Our Missoula mold experts share six common causes of mold growth in your home.
Missoula Mold Expert – Six Elements That Cause Mold Growth
Mold Spores – The first factor that contributes to mold growth is mold spores. They are hard to prevent because mold microorganisms are abundant and present throughout and are not visible to the naked eye. Removing them from your house is not possible. The only thing you can do to avoid them is to keep conditions under control.
Water/Moisture – Like all living organisms, mold needs moisture for it to grow. Its growth depends on a blend of all the elements including moisture. Any amount of water or humidity threshold is enough to facilitate mold growth. Plumbing leaks and roof leaks are the most common causes of dampness that facilitate mold growth in homes. Even a little bit of water damage can cause mold to grow and spread.
A Food Source – Because mold is a living organism, it also needs food to survive and proliferate. It feeds on organic materials such as wood, drywall, and fabrics. Outdoor where vegetation and other organic materials abound, food sources are limitless. Your home, on the other hand, is a very different story. It’s full of mold food that wouldn’t cross your mind. Mold grows in your bathroom vanity or a closet corner because it feeds on the organic components found in wood panels or wallboard.
Oxygen – Without oxygen, mold cannot perform the organic process that makes a steady production of spores it depends on to spread. Air does more than help in the physical, chemical, and biological growth of mold. Mold spores are spread by air movement, which allows them to migrate from one site to another. That spread could be as small as an inch or two within a tight space, or it could extend across the floor, rooms, or throughout the entire house.
Darkness – Mold cannot survive in direct sunlight. The UV radiation in natural sunlight destroys mold’s cellular structure. Indoor lighting does not have the same mold-killing effect. The spectrum of artificial illumination differs from that of sunlight. It does not emit the same photons that kill mold and prevent it from spreading. Mold prefers low light or even complete darkness, although it can still grow in homes with incandescent or fluorescent lights on.
Temperature – Mold does not thrive in too cold or too hot environments. You will never find mold growing in polar regions or the Sahara Desert. Freezing will destroy mold or at least render it dormant. Burning it will destroy its cellular structure, preventing it from spreading and multiplying. The temperature settings inside most homes are ideal for mold colonies to thrive.
Missoula Mold Experts
One of the most effective preventative measures you can take is to educate yourself on the signs and symptoms of mold. If the mold problem in your home persists, call Five Valleys Restoration in Missoula today for certified mold inspection, mold testing, and mold remediation services.
Call to schedule an inspection today!
If this is an emergency, please call 406-542-2113 for immediate service.