Mold may seem like it is just a nuisance that can appear in your home but if it is found in the home, it can prove to be very dangerous. Sadly, it can take over a person’s life and home in many ways. Not only can it be destructive to the structure itself, but also can impact the health of those exposed to it.
Unfortunately, mold can get in very easily. It can enter your home through open doorways, windows, vents, and heating and air conditioning systems. Mold in the air outside can also attach itself to clothing, shoes, and pets can and be carried indoors. It begins its growth on anything that is damp and will begin its invasion from there. If it is not taken care of quickly, it will consume your life and home.
Knowing that mold can be so disastrous, it would be beneficial to understand how to prevent it in the first place. By having vital knowledge, you may never have to deal with the aftermath of mold growth.
Mold thrives on any wet or damp areas in your home. Water damage that is neglected is more likely to damage personal possessions and valuables. Moreover, the longer water is left to sit, the harder it will be to get rid of, leading to a higher cost of restoration services. Things in your home like drywall, ceiling tiles, and flooring will be affected by flooding and most likely need to be replaced if left untreated for over 24 hours.
Even in daily occurrences, the potential of mold growth needs to be watched for. Wherever water is being used, mold can follow if the water isn’t cleaned up properly. After taking a shower, make sure that all condensation is cleared out of the bathroom with proper ventilation, and don’t leave puddles on the floor behind. Additionally, make sure any clothes or towels that are left out to dry are done so in a well-ventilated area. Moisture from these articles can encourage mold growth.
High humidity is an uncomfortable feeling, and, worse yet, causes a lot of damage to the home. When humidity is too high over the 60% level, the home can begin to experience excess water and condensation. If it is If this problem persists the excess moisture will begin to cause mold and mildew issues. A hydrometer is a great tool to use to measure the humidity levels in your home so that you can take steps to reduce the moisture in your home.
If it is discovered that the area has too much moisture in the air, there are a variety of options you have to reduce it. Air conditioners and dehumidifiers can be used and kept on removing moisture, as well as utilizing exhaust fans in the bathroom, laundry room, and kitchen.
Without good airflow in your home, that excess moisture may appear on your walls, windows, and floors. A huge factor in this is not keeping a consistent temperature level. When you are constantly changing the temperature in the home, it creates the opportunity for condensation. As the temperature rises, the amount of moisture that can be included in the air also increases. If you quickly change the air from hot to cold, warm air will cool too fast and turn into condensation. If you need to lower the temperature in your home, do so slowly, and keep the temperature constant.
Moreover, proper ventilation is key when trying to keep moisture levels at bay, especially when using the shower, cooking, or doing laundry. This can be as simple as opening a window, but you can also make use of the A/C unit or fans. Use the ventilation hood when cooking and use extractor vents when taking a shower or doing laundry. When doing laundry, avoid drying wet clothes in the home, especially if you already struggle with high levels of moisture.
Though there are preventative measures that can be taken to avoid mold growth, sometimes water damage and mold can go unnoticed. It can grow within the walls, crawlspaces, attics, floors, etc. These are places homeowners can’t see regularly, so they might go missing. Though the thought of mold growth in a home can be daunting, there are professionals available to help you remedy the issue. Mold experts at Five Valley’s Restoration are readily available to rid your home of any trace of mold and ensure your and your home’s safety.