Cooking fires are among the most common types of house fires, causing around 48 percent of all residential fires. Sometimes the appliance malfunctions. More often, they are caused by super hot grease in an oven. Grease is highly flammable when it gets hot enough (about 600 degrees Fahrenheit, on average) and when it reaches that point, it can combust spontaneously, even without direct flame contact.
Broken electric wires, an electric surge, or improper use can cause fires in electric, convection, and microwave ovens. Various types of electrical faults in home wiring cause about 51,000 fires each year, accounting for nearly 500 deaths, 1,400 injuries, and about $1.3 billion in property damage. according to the EFSi (Electrical Safety Foundation international). Also, avoid running electric cords under the carpets; frayed electrical cords can ignite the rugs and cause a fire.
As for gas ovens, the number one cause of gas leaks are loose connections. To prevent gas oven fires, regularly inspect the connections and tighten any loose pipes. Also, stay alert of any gas leaks and lock the gas supply soon as you smell gas in the air.
More common than a problem with the unit is careless cooking. Some common mistakes that can lead to a kitchen fire include placing greasy food too close to a heat source. Keep generously buttered foods, especially those that also have a high moisture content, on lower oven racks when broiling.
Parchment paper is not interchangeable with waxed paper. Wax paper melts when exposed to prolonged, high heat and the paper can easily catch fire. Oven-safe parchment paper may darken a bit in the oven, but it won’t catch fire.
Remember to place a baking sheet under dishes to avoid dripping. Pies, cobblers, and pizzas should be baked either directly on a baking sheet (or with a baking sheet placed on the rack beneath) to catch any excess liquid that may burn at the bottom of your oven. And if you forget, be sure to clean your oven properly before the next use.
Unattended cooking accounts for 33 percent of home fires, according to the Fire Department of New York. Always keep an eye on food you’re cooking and set a timer as a reminder to remove dishes from the oven. Simple mistakes, like setting the oven to broil instead of bake or hitting the self-cleaning option, can easily become the start of a fire and lead to costly fire damage restoration.
Even in the most controlled kitchen environments, oven fires remain a possibility. So, don’t open the oven door during a fire. Increasing the oxygen supply to the oven will stoke the fire. The right cause of action is to turn the oven off and keep the oven door completely shut. Use your fire extinguisher. And then call our fire damage restoration experts for any resulting repairs.
After a fire in your home, your best chance to save your valuable possessions and restore your peace of mind is to take immediate action. Your trusted Five Valley’s Restoration crew of certified, professional fire damage restoration technicians will drop everything and rust personal and equipment to your apartment. When it comes to restoring the “normal” back into your life and the “value” back into your home, every second counts.
A family run company, they take care of every detail and every step, from initial cleanup, to take down, to final repair. Make the call to your fire damage restoration experts at Five Valleys team now or visit our website for more information about all the services available in Hamilton.
If this is an emergency, please call 406-542-2113 for immediate service.